Show your support with sharing
How to File a Divorce in India
In case a couple wants a divorce then they have to follow the following steps:
- The couple will have to hire a lawyer first, so that he can provide them with all the details.
- A petition will be filed in the court by the lawyer.
- A copy of the petition will be then sent to the spouse.
- The spouse could either agree to divorce or contest against it.
- The completion of the procedure will depend on the circumstances of the case.
- In case of divorce by mutual consent, the parties have to prove that they were living separately for more than one year.
- A period of six months is given to the parties to reconsider their divorce.
- After the expiry of the period of six months, if the parties are still of the opinion that they want a divorce, then, the court can give the divorce decree.